Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Navigating and Advocating in the Mental Health System

It's all connected.

Navigating the health system is tricky in a system that is disjointed. I initiated a referral for a neurologist for a family member in April 2014. We just got in to see the neurologist the end of September 2014. We like the doctor. She is professional, takes the time to explain the next steps, and is a strengths-based provider. We like that.

I won't be spending much time on the problems, as I am pursuing the solution. However, in order to put solutions into context, one needs to address what the problem is in the first place. Balance, my friends. It's all about balance.

Today is the MRI. From my layman's knowledge of what they're trying to rule out (and I've been googling way too much, mind you), MRI's typically rule in/out disorders that cause damage to the CNS (Central Nervous System: brain and spinal cord). Examples of these would be Multiple Sclerosis and brain tumor.

This is where my breathing and positive affirmations come into play. Spirituality and creative visualization are helpful as well. Some practitioners don't believe in the power of these things. However, coming from a place where only diligent rehearsal of what is going well, being grateful for what I/we have, and having hope (and letting others have hope for me/us when I/we couldn't)...these being the only things that have gotten me through my dark times... well, I am a believer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, words of encouragement (or confusion), and other comments below:

Search This Blog