Friday, November 19, 2010

Empathy means everything...

Click on the blog title and you'll see what I mean. The mayo clinic actually has a doctor who's "seen the light" as a result of writing his blog--apparently, all the comments from people who suffer from depression got through to him when he opened himself up to them. I say this because after nearly 10 years of being in the mental health treatment system, I just recently encountered my first doctor who took the time to say "This must be really hard for you."

Don't get me wrong -- being bipolar, recovering from addiction, and having been a victim of both childhood abuse and domestic violence has made me very grateful that I'm even able to get out of bed, much less be a candidate for graduate school. I'm aware that I'm not the only one who's gone through these things either. Also, I've had medical professionals involved in my treatment in the past who have taken the time to congratulate me on my "high functioning" (another term for fighting like hell every day). But I can't even put into words the meaning of having one medical professional, just ONE, getting down to my very human level to let me know that he knows it's difficult to go through what I go through every day just to get out of bed.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the people for whom medication has cut the edge, but not removed the symptoms. I still deal with anxiety, especially social anxiety. I also have difficulty concentrating (on a major level...what was I talking about? just kidding). I see my world in shades of gray rather than color -- if you're clinically depressed, then you'll know what I mean. I'm irritable to a fault. Thank goodness for understanding family and friends!

I also do not expect medication to be my "cure all." I get out in the world and interact with others, even when my paranoia's screaming that they're out to get me. I chat up the clerk at the store in order to get practice  conversing with others on days when I've holed up in my home. I call people when I don't want to (that's a big one for recovering addicts, according to my field research).

And I keep trying. I talk to my doctors and I'm open to medication changes even when I'm convinced this "new one" can't possibly make more of a difference than the 27 (yes, really) medications I've already tried. I have side effects that are all but expected at this point. I'm sensitive to medication and stress. But I keep trying. And that's the point.

Read the article attached to the blog title. Maybe you'll get inspired. Then, start talking about it. There's no point to suffering in pain. My heart goes out to all those who suffer with depression and other disorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, words of encouragement (or confusion), and other comments below:

Search This Blog