Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How to catch a Drunk Driver - 2011 edition

A new device is able to detect alcohol through a person's skin. This is the newest alcohol-detecting device since the breathalyzer, which is now being referred to as "messy." I call it the temporal-swipe-thermometer-version of a breathalyzer. They call it spectroscopy, or the "TruTouch 1100." I like my term better.
Science Daily:
'Save your breath, a new tool for testing suspected drunk drivers will have cops asking, ”Stick out your arm.”'

TruTouch 1100 spectroscope
This is the latest in technology as reported by Science Daily, a site devoted to research, technology and education as it relates to science. I've visited this site on a number of occasions, mostly when I'm topped-off with information for my regular studies and I need a break and something interesting to read. Here's a link to the article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/1105-new_booze_busting_device.htm It also has an interesting video...

The article explains that there's at least 17,500 drunk driving-related deaths each year. I've got a friend I've known since just after high school who was one of two survivors in a car she was a passenger in with a drunk driver. She limps to this day. She was lucky. Maybe this new device will help more people. We can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, words of encouragement (or confusion), and other comments below:

Search This Blog