Wednesday, January 19, 2011

When the going gets tough, the tough go.... shopping.

Me and my friends refer to shopping as "retail therapy" when it's taking the place of other personal coping techniques. This is because we tend to shop when we're feeling angry, confused, out-of-sorts, or...well...just plain bored. I like shopping during these occasions because it takes me away from the following:
  • Rude people (if shopping online)
  • Mundane house chores
  • Homework
  • Stress
  • Boredom
and it also makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something! I'm aware that this sounds trite and superficial, but I think we all need to lapse into a state of semi-consciousness for brief periods of time every once in a while.

For instance: If I'm irritated at my (fill in the blank) and I decide it's more in my head than it is in "blank's" behavior, I'll oftentimes decide not to say anything about it. To anyone.

C'mon now -- haven't we all had a bad day and we know it's "just us"?? Shopping is perfect for this occasion! I can pick an item (or three -- to up my chances of finding at least one) to buy at the store and when I find it -- hooray! -- I've succeeded at something and my mood goes north. Try it sometime. I bet the marketing geniuses out there will love you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, words of encouragement (or confusion), and other comments below:

Search This Blog